Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Apple Treats

We went to a local apple orchard last weekend and came home with 10 pounds of apples and some raspberries. I thought it would be a fun family outing, and while it was I then had 10 pounds of apples to deal with (good thing I didn't get the 20 pound bag). So All week I was making different apple and raspberry treats and I am going to share them with all of you my faithful readers.
First I made apple crisp.

I prefer apple crisp to apple pie and it is so much easier. I don't measure things when I bake I just throw things together and apple crisp is a great one to throw together because it doesn't really matter, but for those of you that need a recipe this one from Betty Crocker is similar (pictured above).

4 medium tart cooking apples, sliced (4 cups)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Cream or Ice cream, if desired

1.Heat oven to 375ºF. Grease bottom and sides of 8-inch square pan with shortening.
2.Spread apples in pan. In medium bowl, stir remaining ingredients except cream until well mixed; sprinkle over apples.
3.Bake about 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and apples are tender when pierced with a fork. Serve warm with cream.

Next I made Apple, raspberry, mango crumble. The crumble part was the same as the apple crisp recipe, but I coated the fruit (apples, raspberries, and mango) in a little it of sprite. I had noticed that many people put some sugar and lime or lemon juice on their fruit well I didn't have any lime or lemon juice, but I did have lemon-lime soda and really all it is is sugar and lemon and lime flavoring plus the carbonation maybe added a little. Sorry no picture I don't know what I was thinking,probably more about eating it than taking pictures.

Then This past weekend with still at least half our apples left we made carmel apples.
These are such a fun fall treat and not that hard to make. All you need is
5 Apples
1 pkg carmels (the individual wrapped candies)
2 tbsp Water
1 tsp Vanilla
Popsicle sticks

Melt the carmels over the stove with the water and then stir in the vanilla. Take your apple and stick a stick in the stem area and dip the apple in the carmel. I then scrapped off the bottom of the apple on the side of the pot and placed them on greased tin foil. It worked really great for getting them off later.
If all you wanted was a plain Carmel apple then you are done, but you can fancy them up how ever you want. Drizzle melted chocolate over then, roll them in your favor candy or cookie crumb whatever you can come up with have fun. Now I did remember to take pictures of these.

And with the left over Carmel and chocolate we make Carmel chocolate popcorn.

3 comments:

Cat of Le Chat Designs said...

Bellissima! I love your blog offerings. Your food photos are utterly inspiring. I'd love to add you to blogs I follow, but that doesn't seem to be an option. Well, I shall content myself to add you to my listed blogs. With kindest regards, Cat of Le Chat Designs

Tawnya said...

Yummy! Will you move back so I can enjoy your work?!

Michelle said...

love the Pampered Chef plates that you display the apples on. By the way, those are on sale this month by 20% off if you need any more.