Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Back 2 School Slate

Its not really back 2 school for us since my daughter has never been to school and she isn't old enough for formal preschool, but we like to play like we are at school and learn our ABCs and 123s. I thought it would be fun if I made her a little slate. Reminds me of Laura Ingalls on Little House on the Prairie.
I picked up a cheap clip board and painted it with chalk board paint I got at the hardware store. Instant mini chalk board, or slate. I spruced it up with some ribbon and decals. You could decorate it any way you want, but don't go too overboard or there won't be any chalkboard left to write on (I was on my way to overboard and took it all off and went for simple).
I found a pack of chalk with chalk holder for a dollar and attached to the board with some ribbon so it won't get lost.
And guess what it is magnetic too. Before I painted it with the chalkboard paint I used magnetic primer. It's not very magnetic (maybe I needed to add more primer) but it is perfect for small lightweight magnets like these ABC magnets.
Addi takes her learning very serious and she loves her new board. When she found it on the table this morning she said "what's this?" and was so excited when I told her it was hers and showed her how she could draw on it.

I created this for the Back 2 School challenge at CSI
Visit thecsiproject.com
I am also linking up with some friends found here.

4 comments:

Andi said...

I LOVE this!! You had me at Laura Ingalls :-) I need to find one of those chalk holders!

Life in Rehab said...

Hey, easy enough, and you're going to teach her to love school, which is important. By the way, she's really cute.

Katie said...

How fun and what a sweet little learning tool you've created☺ Would love you to join me at A Crafty Soiree, every Thursday.

Jenn @ Delicious Ambiguity said...

Love this! What a perfect addition to my busy busy bags. I'm featuring you today on Tot Tuesdays:

http://www.mydeliciousambiguity.com/2010/09/tot-tuesday-24.html

Feel free to add it to my busy bag activity linky in my Idea Box. Have a great week!